Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back from the Big Sky

Things have slowed down a little bit for me, as far as training goes.

Last week Zach was in town. Late nights, sleeping in. Not too conducive for training, but it was fun and worthwhile. It is always great getting to spend time with him!

We were in Montana over the weekend, for Zach's friend's wedding. It was a great time, but there was very little free time involved. I even brought my running shoes up with full intentions to go running, but we were staying in a ranch house out in the middle of nowhere (gorgeous nowhere, I must add) and in all honesty, I was scared to death of getting lost in the middle of the Montana wilderness, so I ran maybe a mile, up and down the driveway, but was reluctant to venture out much further.

Yesterday I was not able to go running in the morning because we had to pick up the dogs from the kennel before my internship! I did go to the gym after work and go swimming; I got 1200 meters in. Plus rode my bike to and from the gym, so got about 4 miles of riding in. I know it's not much, but it's a start, right?

I have to officially do my swim assessment on Thursday. Because I got sick halfway through it two weeks ago, and was not able to make my swim practice last week, this is my last chance to do so! I have to swim somewhere between 400 and 600 meters without stopping. I say that because we really only needed to do 400 meters (half the distance of the race), but two weeks ago our coach decided we needed to swim 600 meters instead. I heard that last week, as a result of the previous week, they had to swim only 500 meters. So I don't really know how far I need to swim, but I also don't doubt that I can do it. We do almost 2000 meters in practice (with stopping), and I think I should be able to manage somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile.

Riding my bike to and from the gym yesterday, I have realized I have not ridden my bike nearly as much as I should have. I really have not been able to get to a Saturday riding practice since May (!!!!) because every weekend we have had practice I have been out of town, and the weeks I have been in town, we haven't had practice! I need to get on my bike more often, regardless of whether or not I have gotten my new frame. I have a tear in my frame, and fortunately Trek has a lifetime warranty on frames, I just need to get to the point where I have time to make my way out to Aurora and get this taken care of. Needless to say, that has not yet happened, and I am a little skeptical of riding my bike too much, because, as the guy who tuned my bike said, it could explode at any minute. (I don't think those were his exact words, but it was definitely his point.) Well, this Saturday we have a brick workout up in Boulder; a bike ride followed by a run. It'll be two hours of physical activity, I just hope I am up for it!

I am back on to my schedule of running with the dogs in the morning and swimming in the afternoon. I have also included riding my bike to and from the pool to help out a little bit with the bike riding. I know it's minimal, but anything helps, I suppose. Next week we'll see how much I can keep with my schedule I have been doing so far, since I start summer classes. It's only two days a week, but I go to my internship after class. I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment