Thursday, June 18, 2009

After two weeks...

Needless to say, taking two weeks off from training actually took quite a toll on me. The first week was due to finals. Not much got done during finals time except for the finals themselves. Each time a training practice came around, I was so immersed in my work that I wasn't able to take the time away. It would have been a nice break, but I was working around the clock as it was.
Then, I spent a week in Hawaii. I know, it's a rough life. And while there was a little bit of activity involved, it wasn't anything that could have been considered a workout. We went snorkeling, spent time swimming in the pool, and went hiking and a lot of walking, but nothing like cardio.
Tuesday I had my final team leader meeting for the Avon Walk, which is next weekend. As a result, I missed my running session on Tuesday, since they were at the same time. So tonight was my first training session in two weeks. Swimming, I normally wouldn't have had much of a problem, but tonight, towards the end, I was really tired and starting to swallow a lot of water. Just a lot of fatigue made it difficult. But, the bright part of it is that after I got home, I realized just how much I had swam: 1800 meters! Which is longer than swims for either of the triathlons I could do. The shorter race is 800 m, 1/2 mile and the longer race is .9 mile so somewhere under 1600 m, (I'm not in the mood to do math right now). So I know I could successfully swim either race, which makes me thrilled! Now there's just the whole running part...
But the workout tonight also made me realize how important the training is and that I do need to get back into the swing of things now that there are no more reasons why I can't.
I also realized it isn't a good idea to have Chipotle for lunch on the day of a swim practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment